All you need to know about our Melkbos Campus
In January 2018, Generation Schools Melkbos opened our doors to a boutique campus catering for students from the age of 18 months to nine years of age. This boutique campus has smaller classes, with a wonderful sense of family and community as you step into the front door. To learn more about Generation Schools Melkbos, book a tour with us today.
Thank you for your interest in applying to Generation Schools. The step-by-step process for applying to Generation Schools, most of which is done online, is outlined in the Admissions section of our website. If you would like to apply, please select the Online Application Button at the bottom of this page now.
In addition, we encourage families to visit the school, if possible. Visits may be arranged either before or after you submit an application. If you have any questions about our policy, the eligibility of your child(ren), application deadlines, etc., please contact our Admissions Office.
Please also find some additional information by clicking the following links:
Preparation of the Learning Environments
The Montessori and Cambridge educator is committed to preparing the environment on a daily basis. The educator’s preparation is taken from daily observations of each child’s individual needs. Detailed records of each child’s progress and readiness for new materials ensure that the environment remains favourable for every child.
The child’s need to learn by exploring is supported by the following:
- The classrooms contain carefully prepared and sequenced teaching materials and equipment.
- Everything in the classroom is child-size and intended for the child’s use.
- The children “work” because it is exciting to learn from the wide range of activities presented.
- The children learn to appreciate and care for their classrooms and the beautifully crafted Montessori materials.
- The educators guide the child’s energy, interest, and enthusiasm into self-enriching channels over a three-year period.
- The educators help each child individually, by demonstrating the special materials.
- Individual capabilities and the interests of each child are respected, as each child develops at their own rate.
Our Melkbos Campus opened in January 2018.
Book a visit with us, to meet our friendly staff, watch our students explore and learn, and see our campus grow.
Or contact us for more information. We look forward to hearing from you.
Admissions and Enquiries
Tel. +27 (0)21 205 5915
Generation Schools offers a three (3) week menu cycle plan (mid-morning snack and lunch) has been designed by registered dietitian’s Cecily Fuller and Jenny-Anne Smuts to meet 40% of the daily nutritional requirements needed to promote growth as well as mental and physical development for growing children.
A well-balanced approach has been taken to provide adequate energy and the essential macro-nutrients (protein, carbohydrate and fat) based on recognized guidelines and healthy eating principles for moderately active children.
- The menu is varied to encourage the intake of a variety of nutrients, textures and tastes making it interesting and fun. It may also vary according to the season and availability of fresh produce.
- Portion sizes have been calculated for the different age groups. Children are encouraged to eat according to their hunger. As a large part of the day is spent at school, lunch is strongly encouraged for all learners.
- Minimal added fat is used in the preparation of all meals giving preference to unsaturated fat.
- To comply with the no-sugar policy within the school grounds, baked items are limited to once a week (banana bread, muffins, and oat slices) as a treat. These items are prepared using less sugar and are still nutrient dense. Limited amounts of honey are used to sweeten plain yoghurt.
- Limited salt is used in food preparation and every effort is made to avoid the use of artificial preservatives and flavourants.
- Children need 3 servings of dairy-rich foods a day (1 serving = 30g cheese = 250 ml milk = 150 ml yoghurt) to meet their calcium requirements. Additional dairy needs to be provided at home (at breakfast or as a snack) to make up the balance.
- A variety of vegetables (raw and cooked) are included in snacks and lunches. For the younger children they are often mixed in as part of the meal but with time they are encouraged to try them separately to get used to new tastes and textures.
- One fruit is provided by the school in addition to the fruit that is brought from home. The aim is to achieve 2-3 servings of fruit a day. For active children participating in sport extra fruit is recommended.
- Meat-Free Mondays has been introduced to expose children to the concept of vegetarian alternatives and its impact on the environment. Some meat-free ideas to try at home include lentil or chickpea curry, Falafel balls, soups with legumes and lentil and rice bake. Alternatively, legumes (beans, lentils, chickpeas) can be added to meat dishes and stews.
Educators are the most important asset of any school and Generation Schools is no exception. Our dedicated faculty and staff reflect the divergent and progressive nature of our community, representing different cultures and nationalities, with a collective breadth and depth of experience in Montessori and Cambridge education. Above all, our teachers love working with children, while respecting their individual growth and development. We seek to inspire students, to provide them with the academic and social skills that will enable them to fulfill their potential as responsible global citizens.
As a school and faculty, we are committed to ongoing professional development. This includes taking advantage of our own wealth of knowledge and experience through regular in-service training, as well as leadership and participation in workshops, conferences and other training opportunities hosted by education organizations throughout South Africa and beyond.
We are interested in excellent educators who are passionate about education and are willing and able to contribute to the school and student life in a wide variety of ways. Please see our employment page for a list of vacancies.
We will shortly be introducing this dynamic team to you. Watch this space!